Who qualifies for a free eyetest?
- You’re aged under 16
- You’re aged 16, 17 or 18 and are in full-time education
- You’re aged 60 or over
- You’re registered as partially sighted (sight impaired) or blind (severely sight impaired)
- You’ve been diagnosed with diabetes or glaucoma
- You’re 40 or over, and your mother, father, brother, sister, son or daughter has been diagnosed with glaucoma
- You’ve been advised by an ophthalmologist (eye doctor) that you’re at risk of glaucoma
- You’re on certain benefits (Income Support, Income related Employment and Support Allowance, Tax Credit, Income Based Jobseekers Allowance)
- If you are on a low income, you may be able to get help with the cost of sight tests, glasses and contact lenses through the NHS Low income Scheme.
Who Qualifies for NHS Vouchers? (help towards the cost of spectacles or contact lenses):
- Children under 16
- Full time students under 19
- Those receiving Income based benefits, i.e. Income Support, Working Families Tax Credit, Income Based Job Seekers Allowance and Pension Credit Guarantee Credit.
- Those holding Form HC2/3
- Complex lenses (partial help)
- Persons not in the above list but on low income may still get help.
Please ask for Form HC1 in advance of your appointment.
Emergencies or when you?re worried about changes in your sight
If you have any concerns at all about your eyes come and see us at Waltham Abbey Opticians straight away. If our optometrist decides you need an eye health examination, it won’t cost you anything. Some eye diseases can lead to blindness or some loss of vision, but if detected early enough, your eyesight can often be saved.
For out of hours emergencies please contact NHS 111 and/or Moorfields Hospital 24/7 A&E 020 7566 2345